Ingredients: Makes 6 patties
- 2 raw beetroots, peeled and grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 courgette, grated
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 100g/3½ oz porridge oats / oat flour
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper to season
Don’t forget your Burger buns, tomato, a type of cheese (goats cheese / feta / cheddar), lettuce, and avocado too.
Horseradish or wasabi mayo also works really well here!
- To make the beetroot burger, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan, over a medium heat, then add the onion and garlic, and fry for 4–5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the grated vegetables and cook for 5 minutes – stirring often. Drain away any excess liquid released by the vegetables.
- Place the oats, chickpeas, tahini and egg yolk in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Tip the mixture into a bowl and stir in the grated vegetables, spring onions and coriander. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture into six and shape into burgers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Use this time to prep your sauce / horseradish mayo / burger toppings.
- To cook the burgers, either place in the oven for 20 minutes at 180 (fan) degrees or fry in a pan of oil, over a medium heat, for 2-3 minutes batches if necessary, until golden and hot through.
- Serve with your choice of sides or lose the bun and simply serve with a salad.