Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 butternut squash (roughly 700-800g), peeled, deseeded and cut into 2cm cubes
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp pesto (or make your own)
- A ladle pasta water (preserved from cooking)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 350g pasta (casarecce or fusilli work well as they hold the sauce)
- 30g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, shaved
- large bunch of basil
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Coat the butternut squash cubes in olive oil and salt and pepper, and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes in the oven at 180 degrees (fan).
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta following pack instructions. Drain, reserving a little of the cooking water – about a ladle full.
- Then, in a pan on a low heat, mix the pesto with the pasta, squeeze in the lemon, and add the leftover pasta water, tossing to make a sauce until all is coated.
- Stir through the butternut squash chunks and season to taste.
- Serve with parmesan, fresh basil and toasted pine nuts.